Thursday, March 25, 2004

PPro: Missing something like Pixars Pixlet (MacOSX) with Premiere Pro?
Pixlet is a brilliant wavelet codec that let's you playback and edit large aspect files with minimum loss. Pixlet let's you playback (and edit) HD on very slow machines with a minimum of visible quality loss. I've been looking for a good wavelet codec for my Premiere Pro setup and I found the very promising PICVideo Wavelet2000 codec from Pegasus Imaging. The Wavelet2000 codec is designed to work within Premiere Pro. However I found a few small glitches (the source window doesn't play back satisfactory) but it can be edited and it's RT in the timeline. And the image quality is excellent. At the highest setting in Standard Definition it has a data rate of 1,8MB sec and I can't tell it apart from uncompressed visually without looking really hard. Keep in mind that DV that's compressed 5:1 produces a rate of 3,5MB/sec so the Wavelet2000 stream is really tiny in comparison.

No comments: